Citizen Journalism Contest Submission Guidelines
Thank you for submitting content to the Citizen Journalism Contest! Please read ALL of these guidelines before submitting content.
We want to see imaginative, inventive, compelling, interesting content. To make sure your entry has the best chance of making it to the finals, consider the following:
- Digital submissions – Final work can be uploaded to YouTube and link provided on submission form with application. If work is chosen as final winner, file must be provided in MPEG 4 H264 compression at 1920 x 1080 resolution, and uploaded to a designated FTP.
- Physical submissions – DVDs should be formatted using NTSC standards and be either Region 1 or All Region. Must be compatible with standard set-top DVD or Blu-Ray player. Please ensure that your disc plays in a standard DVD player before it is submitted. Please clearly and legibly labeled with the project name and director.
- Quality tip – Use a tripod, monopod, or any other way of keeping your camera steady unless the shot specifically calls for the movement. Shaky camerawork can make people feel seasick. Please keep total time less than three minutes for short form submissions, and between three to 10 minutes for long form submissions.
- Digital submissions – Final work can be uploaded to Sound Cloud and link provided on submission form with application.
- Physical submissions – Audio Mp3 files can be submitted on a flash drive or disk.
- Quality tip – Please make sure audio is clear and easy to understand and is consistently leveled so as not to blow out the viewer’s speakers. Please keep total time of work to no longer than five minutes.
- Digital submissions – Please submit as email attachment in PDF format.
- Physical submissions – Please print final work on white paper with black font color.
- Quality tip – Use Times New Roman in size 12 font, with 1” margins. Be sure to spell check your work! Please keep article between 400-2,000 word count.
- Digital submissions – Submit high-resolution JPEG.
- Physical submissions – Print size of approx. 8.5 x11 inches of high-resolution photo quality.
- Quality tip – Images should be a minimum of 300 dpi.
We CANNOT accept submissions with:
- Sponsor or producer logos. We cannot air or print anything that may be construed as an advertisement in any way, shape or form.
- Explicit Content: No program or performance can contain explicit content of any nature.
- Hate Speech: Do not promote hatred toward an individual or group of people based on their race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, or sexual orientation/gender identity in your content. If you do, it will be rejected.
- Violence: Do not encourage real world violence, in any way.
- Obscenity: No obscene speech, acts, or references. Make sure you eliminate them from your content before submitting it or it will be rejected.
- Intellectual Property: Do not infringe on the intellectual property rights of others including patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, and all other proprietary rights.
- Stage plays or performance recordings.
- Advertisements, qualifications, testimonials, or marketing materials
*Physical submissions will not be returned.
Send entries and completed release forms for all featured individuals (attached) to:
Tim Gill Center for Public Media
Attn: Citizen Journalism Contest
315 E. Costilla Street.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903